Saturday, March 11, 2006

Everybody Wants A Granddaddy Like Norman

I enjoyed this Nerve interview with Norman Mailer and his son John.

Norman Mailer is the kind of guy who would get the label, "he could fit in well with black people" [/stereotype] - he speaks frankly, almost to the point of recklessness. In other words, he makes an excellent grandpappy. Or pappy in this case. Imaging saying something thoughtful and your grandfather begins saying, "Alright, let me demolish your thesis..." Tres hot my niggies.
In the book, you both agree that women "control" men. Could you elaborate?
I think women are in control mainly because they see themselves from early girlhood as future coaches. They're in control the way a coach is in control.
Coaches can handle athletes who are much more powerful than they are. You have guys who could kill you with a punch, and his little Jewish manager says, "Listen, you dumb fuck! How many times do I have to tell you to keep your right up around your ears? Do I need to tie a string to your fucking head?" And this big oaf of a guy is like, "Gee, ok boss. I'm so sorry." You could use that as a paradigm for marriage.
more...

Interview: Norman Mailer, John Buffalo Mailer
[Nerve]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails